Jan 23, 2007

Jaundice....Yuck!

Well we took Ben to the Dr. last Thursday for his first check up and his bilirubin level was 14. They said it was fine and they weren't too concerned because he was eating and pooping well. But by Sunday he was looking really yellow. So I called and took him back in on Monday morning to have it checked again. Poor guy's bilirubin level had shot up to 19.4. They warned that if it hit 20 they would have to admit him to the hospital to stay under the intensive bili lights. Since his was under 20 we are now using the bili blanket like we had to with Ashley, although now they have one that is 3 times stronger so we hope that he will get over this soon. We have to take him in daily to get his blood checked until he is in the normal range, his poor heels. He has to stay on the biliblanket for 23 hours a day so it makes feeding, diapering, and cuddling quite a challenge but at least he should be getting better.

Ashley is going in today for her 2 year old well baby appointment so we will see how she is doing also. I don't assume there will be any concerns as she seems to be recouperating well from her bout of the nasties that caused her to lose so much weight.

My mom leaves tomorrow to head home so now I have to conquer this mommy of 2 thing on my own. Well at least Mike is off until the end of the month so that will give me some time to adjust to normal life. I am still very nervous about taking both kiddos out on my own. Oh well, I better get used to it because I can't stay locked up in my house forever......well at least for the winter. Hehe

3 comments:

Tanya said...

Awww poor baby...

Bev said...

You are a mirror into my winter last year! We had Robyn under bilis for a while too and I was scared of having both on my own too. I was all emotional- I blame the hormones- and even sat and cried for a few minutes not wanting to be on my own with two kids before Michael went to work for the first time after the hospital! Hehehe... Give me a call if you need some encouragment, friend. :) You'll be fabulouse!

Cyndy said...

Oh I hope it doesn't take very long to get him back to feeling good and not having daily heal pricks. You are doing great mommy!