Oct 26, 2007

Potty training HELP!

I am calling on all my more experienced Mommy friends for some potty training advice!

Ok, so here is the issue. Ashley did great the first few weeks of potty training with very few accidents. We did a potty chart that she filled up and earned a trip to the water park. She was staying dry most nights although I was still putting her in a diaper for bedtime. Everything was going too smooth :).

This past week she is peeing her pants constantly. Most times without even saying she has to go or trying to get to the potty chair. I tried to bribe her with a piece of candy corn for everytime she went and it worked for the first few days but now she is doing it again. I also tried to resurect the potty chart and still she's not too interesting in going to the bathroom.

So my question is what should we do. First response is to get mad and try time out or something but I know there has to be a better way! Help, I need some advice!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mine did stuff in stages. Poop was down ok, pee...not so much. Mastered pee, then forgot about the poop. Ahh, adventures in potty training.

(Un)fortunately, it's probably just a phase and won't last long... Even though I've helped 4 of them learn, I really can't give much advice except for "wait it out"...I can sympathize! Good luck..she'll get it!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, and NO time out! Pottying is the "only" thing they have complete control over and you don't want a power struggle with her over it. YOU WILL LOSE. Learning is their job, you are just there to guide and give praise and reassurance :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy, Well here is some advice from an older mother. The first thing that I was told was that they needed to be dry thru the night before starting. Then you need to take them to the potty every hour or two and have them sit down to go. (This is where all the bribing comes in) But the huge thing these days is the disposable training pants. The child cannot tell that they are wet. You need to go back to the old fashioned ones. They have to know that they are wet and not like it. Kimberly started and then stopped. I gave up and she pretty much trained herself. We bought really pretty panties and hung them up in the bathroom so she could see them. We told here she could not have them until she was dry for 1 week. She was so excited to wear her new panties when she got them. Good luck. Miss you.
Debbie Lerew