Oct 1, 2008

Our Trip to the ER

Ben started with a cold a few days ago. Runny nose, sneezing, and a bit of coughing, nothing too serious. Last night he had a rough time falling asleep but after a few tries we had success. I stayed up until about 12:30am working on my paper and was probably asleep by 1am. Only to be woken up by a mysterious barking noise coming from Ben's room. The poor guy sounded awful. I was pretty sure it was croup, as Ashley has had it once before. But this was way more serious. He was struggling to get a good breath and it did not seem to be improving.

I called the on-call dr. on base and they said that there was a referral in place for him to go to the ER. So Ben and I hopped in the car at 2:20am to head downtown. We arrived just before 3am and at this point I was very thankful for living in a small town with a small hospital. We were the only people in the waiting room and thus were seen very quickly.

They diagnosed him with croup (mom was right). Although all the struggling he was doing to breath his oxygen levels were still very good. The administered a steroid shot to relax and reduce the inflammation in his throat, gave us some home care pointers and sent us on our way. We were home within 2 hours of walking out the door, so that was quite impressive.

Still I didn't get to sleep until after 5am and the kids were kind enough to wake me at 8:30. Yikes so today I'm pretty zoned out. After dealing with sick kids, an ER trip, and no sleep, not to mention the last week of classes before finals I am a little frazzled. But that's the life of a mom right?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a crazy night! Definitely an experience you will remember hehe Glad Bennybooboo is okay! :) Miss and love ya!